Camera Stand For The Workshop
First I’d like to say thanks to Jay Bates from JaysCustomCreations. This stand is his idea and I pretty much followed along with his blog post. I did however contact Jay to see if he’d change anything and he said yes. Jay decided to remove the articulating arm and replace it with an arm that sits 90 degrees from the pole. So that’s what I did. Now it’s basically a pole in concrete with an adjustable arm sticking off the side. Be sure to visit JaysCustomCreations.com if you’re looking for great plans and info. Please use my affiliate link if you decide to grab a plan or three! Thanks!
Read on below as I documented this very fast build. It took roughly an hour or so to complete and I’m happy as can be. Enjoy!
First thing I did was head to Home Depot and grabbed a 50 pound bag of fast curing concrete and a 5 gallon bucket. I already had a pole that is 1-1/2″ round by 8′ tall. I also had a small dolly I grabbed from Amazon. I drilled a few holes in the pipe and placed some rebar through the holes to create a cross. This will stop the pole from spinning in the concrete.
For now I will just place the bucket full of concrete on the dolly. It really shouldn’t fall off. I don’t plan on taking this rig off-road or anything!
While the concrete dries I can make the camera mount assembly. I used all scraps from around the shop for this part. Literary any type of wood can be used for this. I used plywood, oak, and poplar. I started by cutting the side panels for the mount. Mine ended up being roughly 4″x 8″. I used my Grizzly band saw since it was cleaned off. A table saw, circular saw, or jig saw could be used to cut all these pieces as well.
Once the side panels were cut to size, I measured the pole so I could build a slip-fit to hold the camera arm. I used a few pieces of oak roughly 2″ wide as spacers. The purpose is to have this assembly movable up and down the pole.
After measuring the pole I started adding the 2″ oak pieces to the side panels. I used glue and a few brad nails on one side panel. The other side panel will be screwed in place so the assembly can be fitted to the pole.
Next I needed to place the arm assembly. I sandwiched it between the opposing pieces to give it more support. See pic below.
Before I glued and nailed the arm in place, I took a little time to create a curve on the end. Not only does it add a little detail, it removes the sharp corner where I would undoubtedly hit my head.
Now it was time to fit the camera mount assembly to the pole. It will be held securely in place by a set-screw I’ll show in a few minutes. Looks good so far!
You can see the bolt in the pic above. It’s 5/16-20 and threaded in to the oak wood. I simply used a standard tap and drill bit to tap the wood. I’ll make a handle for the bolt next. This will make things easy to tighten and loosen.
As you can see from the pic below. I used a few washers and some imagination to create a simple handle that the bolt will be threaded through. I cut this on the band saw and used my Ridgid sander and a few files to clean it up.
Once these pieces were ready, the build is pretty much compete. I cleaned the poll up using my Black and Decker Restorer and applied a little paste wax for good measure. I then added a camera fluid head I already owned and she’s ready for action.
Thanks for following along!
Tools I Used:
- Grizzly Band Saw
- Ridgid Circular Saw and Drill
- Ridgid Sander
- Senco Nail Gun
- California Air Compressor